Friday, August 22, 2008

Job Justifications, Systems you manage... my experience is not good

At my previous employer my manager came to me one day asking me to detail what I work on i.e. what systems do I manage and to provide a weekly percentage of this work in an Excel spreadsheet. I thought ok, he just wants to know what I do everyday. Not quite, 2 months later the company announces they are being acquired by another. People get cut, my manager did, somehow I remained.

What I learned: When a manager asks for this type of information it might indicate the company is about to be acquired.

Current Day: My manager asks all of us to provide information about the systems we support and what we work on weekly. This scares me a little as it sounds a lot like my previous employer.

My list is going to be 10 pages long this time.

Anyway, for those of you out there that encounter this type of situation, either come up with a huge list or pack your bags. In my case, I was young and had a lot of potential, I think that's why I was kept, plus I was making dirt for pay.

No comments: