Thursday, July 3, 2008

Install SharePoint on Vista

We (SharePoint developers) have always had to either develop on a server or spin up our vpcs or vm images with server running on it to develop SharePoint applications. There is now a solution to this. Check out http://community.bamboosolutions.com/blogs/bambooteamblog/archive/2008/05/21/how-to-install-windows-sharepoint-services-3-0-sp1-on-vista-x64-x86.aspx

for information regarding the steps needed to install and configure SharePoint to run on Windows Vista. Finally, we can develop on our local machines without the heavy server image.

On a personal note, I am going to continue to develop on my vpc image. My reason being Vista is slow enough without SharePoint and SQL running on it, developing on a server image gives me a better chance that my application will run without issues when deployed to the SharePoint server and the big one, the installation of SharePoint on Vista is not supported by Microsoft.

1 comment:

digital signature software said...

Excellent! Thanks for this - I've been looking for this features for ages. Followed your instructions and it works a treat!